Saint Louis University ensures that students at SLU-Madrid are prepared to succeed in their education by offering preparatory courses in English, mathematics and science.
SLU-Madrid's Academic English Program is the most intensive and complete academic English and TOEFL preparation course in Madrid. The program prepares students for entry into universities where the language of instruction is English.
Students should already have a high intermediate level of everyday English language skills in order to benefit from this course.
The Academic English Program offers:
- 19 hours of classes per week for 12 weeks
- Small classes
- Preparation for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- Individualized tutorials, feedback and progress reports
- Access to SLU-Madrid's library, writing center and academic resources
- Access to SLU-Madrid's events, sports, clubs and organizations
- 3 University credits may later be transferred towards a U.S. B.A. or B.S. degree
Within the program, there are two content-based classes, an academic writing class, a critical reading skills class, a structure/grammar class and an oral skills class. The timetable is scheduled Monday through Friday between 9:30 and 2 p.m.
Dates of the next courses:
- Monday, Jan. 14, 2019 to Tuesday, April 9, 2019
- Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2019 to Thursday, Dec. 10, 2019
4,500 euros. Students also need to pay a confirmation fee. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
For admission to the program:
- meet SLU-Madrid's B.A./B.S. degree admissions requirements
- show a high-intermediate level of competence in writing
Students may contact SLU-Madrid's admissions office to arrange a time to visit the campus and write an essay. The essay takes 30 minutes.
You may also be requested to set up a SKYPE interview with a member of the Admissions or ESL department.
SLU-Madrid’s Science and Engineering Preparation Year is designed for students who are not yet prepared to enter the engineering degree program. You’ll take courses in mathematics, physics, computer science and English as Second Language, developing the foundation and skills necessary to pursue engineering. Students are allowed to stay a maximum of one year, or two semesters, in this preparatory program.
This program will introduce you to scientific concepts and engineering processes across a range of disciplines. You’ll carry out basic experiments in physics while simultaneously developing the communication and computer skills to effectively retrieve information, write reports and make presentations. ESL classes will improve your English writing, speaking and reading comprehension.
To be admitted in the Science and Engineering Preparation Year, you must:
- Be a prospective engineering student
- Earn a mathematics placement test score of College Algebra (MATH 1205) or similar
- Have a TOEFL PBT score of 480 to 547 points, or equivalent
You will be considered eligible for admission into an engineering program when you have satisfactorily completed the following minimum requirements in the Pre-Engineering Program:
- Obtained a grade of “C-” or higher in MATH 1400: Pre-Calculus
- Obtained a grade of “C-” or higher in CSCI 1060: Scientific Programming
- Obtained a grade of “C-” or higher in PHYS 1330/1340: General Physics II/Lab
- Obtained a score in the TOEFL test and TWE of 550 and 4.0 or equivalent, respectively
Student assessment is carried out through examinations, assessment tests and evaluation of the work done in laboratories, workshops and projects.
For general inquiries about the Pre-Engineering Program, contact Taieb Gasmi, Ph.D. at +34 91 554 58 58, ext. 217, or email@example.com.